Non-Clinical Lecturer in Neuroscience of Dementia
- Circuital representation of cognitive function in healthy adults and in Alzheimer-related pathological ageing;
- Stimulation-induced changes in cerebral connectivity;
- Effect of genetic polymorphism on neural structure and function;
- Classificatory accuracy of machine-learning algorithms for the diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment;
- Biological correlates of volumetric MRI indices;
- Home-based cognitive training in early stage Alzheimer’s disease with the use of a tablet: A feasibility study", as P.I. in collaboration with Annalena Venneri and Riccardo Manca (Department of Neuroscience, University of Sheffield) and Khymeia Group
- Defining risk for conversion to dementia for patients with amnestic mild cognitive impairment using an index of semantic memory and ApoE genotype", as P.I. in collaboration with Annalena Venneri (Department of Neuroscience, University of Sheffield) and Ptolemaios Sarrigiannis (Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals).
- A quantitative EEG project to detect dysfunction of cerebellar modulation on specific neocortical areas. Can we identify the immune ataxias?", as Co.I. in collaboration with Ptolemaios Sarrigiannis (Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals), Marios Hadjivassiliou (Sheffield Ataxia Centre, Sheffield teaching Hospitals), Annalena Venneri (Department of Neuroscience, University of Sheffield) and Nigel Hoggard (Academic Unit of Radiology, University of Sheffield).
- A Randomized Pivotal Study of RenewTM NCP-5 for the Treatment of Mild Cognitive Impairment due to Alzheimer's Disease or Mild Dementia of the Alzheimer's Type" as Co.I. at the Sheffield centre in collaboration with Annalena Venneri (Department of Neuroscience, University of Sheffield)
- European Prevention of Alzheimer's Dementia Consortium (EPAD)" as Co.I. at the Sheffield centre in collaboration with Annalena Venneri (Department of Neuroscience, University of Sheffield)
Bentham C, De Marco M, Venneri A. (2019) The modulatory effect of cerebrovascular burden in response to cognitive stimulation in healthy ageing and mild cognitive impairment. Neural Plasticity. Article ID 2305318. doi: 10.1155/2019/2305318
Jones SA, De Marco M, Manca R, Bell SM, Blackburn DJ, Wilkinson ID, Soininen H, Venneri A. (2019) Altered frontal and insular functional connectivity as pivotal mechanisms for apathy in Alzheimer’s disease. Cortex. 119: 100-110. doi: 10.1016/j.cortex.2019.04.008
Durongbhan P, Zhao Y, Chen L, Zis P, De Marco M, Unwin ZC, Venneri A, He X, Li S, Zhao Y, Blackburn DJ, Sarrigiannis PG. (2019) A dementia classification framework using frequency and time-frequency features based on EEG signals. Transactions on Neural Systems & Rehabilitation Engineering. 27(5): 826-835. doi: 10.1109/tnsre.2019.2909100
Mazzoni H, Clark A, De Bartolo A, Guerrini C, Nahouli Z, Duzzi D, De Marco M, McGeown W, Venneri A. (2019) Brain activation in highly superior autobiographical memory: The role of the precuneus in a balanced memory retrieval network. Cortex. Paper Accepted: 16/02/2019. doi: 10.1016/j.cortex.2019.02.020
Postema MC, De Marco M, Colato E, Venneri A. (2018) A study of within-subject reliability of the brain's default-mode network. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine. 32(3): 391-405. doi: 10.1007/s10334-018-00732-0
Venneri A, Mitolo M, Beltrachini L, Varma S, Della Pietà C, Jahn-Carta C, Frangi AF, De Marco M. (2019) Beyond episodic memory: Semantic processing as independent predictor of hippocampal/perirhinal volume. Neuropsychology. 33(4): 523-533; doi: 10.1037/neu0000534
Blackburn DJ, Zhao YF, De Marco M, Bell SM, He F, Wei HL, Lawrence S, Unwin ZC, Blyth M, Angel J, Baster K, Farrow TFD, Wilkinson ID, Billings SA, Venneri A, Sarrigiannis PG. (2018) A novel non-linear measure of Eyes Open versus Eyes Closed EEG synchronization can distinguish Alzheimer’s disease patients from healthy controls; A Pilot study. Brain Sciences. 8(7): 134. doi: 10.3390/brainsci8070134
Meineke J, Wenzel F, De Marco M, Venneri A, Blackburn DJ, Teh K, Wilkinson ID, Katscher U. (2018) Motion artifacts in standard clinical setting obscure disease-specific differences in quantitative susceptibility mapping. Physics in Medicine and Biology. 63(14): 14NT01. doi: 10.1088/1361-6560/aacc52
Venneri A, Jahn-Carta C, De Marco M, Quaranta D, Marra C. (2018) Diagnostic and prognostic role of semantic memory assessment in preclinical Alzheimer’s disease. Biomarkers in Medicine. 12(6): 637-651. doi: 10.2217/bmm-2017-0324
De Marco M, Venneri A. (2018) Volume and connectivity of the ventral tegmental area are linked to neurocognitive signatures of Alzheimer's disease in humans. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 63(1): 167-180. doi: 10.3233/jad-171018
De Marco M, Meneghello F, Pilosio C, Rigon J, Venneri A. (2018) Up-regulation of DMN connectivity in MCI and very mild Alzheimer’s disease via network-based cognitive training. Current Alzheimer Research 15(6): 578-589; doi: 10.2174/1567205015666171212103323
De Marco M, Beltrachini L, Biancardi A, Frangi AF, Venneri A. (2017) Machine learning support to individual diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment using multimodal MRI and cognitive assessments. Alzheimer Disease & Associated Disorders: 31(4): 278-286. DOI: 10.1097/wad.0000000000000208
De Marco M, Manca R, Mitolo M, Venneri A. (2017) White matter hyperintensity load modulates brain morphometry and brain connectivity in healthy adults. A neuroplastic mechanism? Neural Plasticity, Article ID 4050536. DOI: 10.1155/2017/4050536
De Marco M, Duzzi D, Meneghello F, Venneri A. (2017) Cognitive efficiency in Alzheimer’s disease is associated with increased occipital connectivity. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease 57(2): 541-556. DOI: 10.3233/jad-161164
De Marco M, Vallelunga A, Meneghello F, Varma S, Frangi AF, Venneri A, Alzheimer`s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (2017) ApoE ε4 allele related alterations in hippocampal connectivity in early Alzheimer’s disease support memory performance. Current Alzheimer Research 14(7): 766-777. DOI: 10.2174/1567205014666170206113528
Venneri A, Mitolo M, De Marco M. (2017) The network substrate of confabulatory tendencies in Alzheimer's disease. Cortex 87: 69-79. DOI: 10.1016/j.cortex.2016.08.015
De Marco M, Meneghello F, Duzzi D, Rigon J, Pilosio C, Venneri A. (2016) Cognitive stimulation of the default-mode network modulates functional connectivity in healthy ageing. Brain Research Bulletin 121: 26-41. DOI: 10.1016/j.brainresbull.2015.12.001
Venneri A, Mitolo M, De Marco M. (2016) Paradigm shift: Semantic memory as biomarker for Alzheimer’s disease. Biomarkers in Medicine 10(1): 5-8. DOI: 10.2217/bmm.15.53
De Marco M, Iavarone A, Santoro G, Carlomagno S. (2016) Two day-date processing methods in an autistic savant calendar calculator. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 46(3): 1096-1102. DOI: 10.1007/s10803-015-2626-z
Beltrachini L, De Marco M, Taylor ZA, Lötjönen J, Frangi AF, Venneri A. (2015) Integration of cognitive tests and resting state fMRI indices for the individual identification of Mild Cognitive Impairment prodromal to Alzheimer’s disease. Current Alzheimer Research 12(6): 592-603. DOI: 10.2174/156720501206150716120332
Benavides-Varela S, Burgio F, Meneghello F, De Marco M, Arcara G, Rigon J, Pilosio C, Butterworth B, Venneri A, Semenza C. (2015) Anatomical substrates and neurocognitive predictors of daily numerical abilities in mild cognitive impairment. Cortex 71: 58-67. DOI: 10.1016/j.cortex.2015.05.031
De Marco M, Merico A, Berta G, Segato N, Citton V, Baglione A, Venneri A (2015) Morphometric correlates of dysarthric deficit in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration 16(7-8): 464-472. DOI: 10.3109/21678421.2015.1056191
De Marco M, Venneri A. (2015) 'O' blood type is associated with larger grey-matter volumes in the cerebellum. Brain Research Bulletin 116: 1-6. DOI: 10.1016/j.brainresbull.2015.05.005
De Marco M, Clough PJ, Dyer CE, Vince RV, Waby JS, Midgley AW, Venneri A. (2015) Apolipoprotein E ε4 allele modulates the immediate impact of acute exercise on prefrontal function. Behavior Genetics 45(1):106-116. DOI: 10.1007/s10519-014-9675-5
De Marco M, Shanks MF, Venneri A. (2014) Cognitive stimulation: The evidence base for its application in neurodegenerative disease. Current Alzheimer Research 11(5):469-483. DOI: 10.2174/1567205011666140505120145
De Marco M, Venneri A. (2017) Brain Morphometry - Clinical Applications: Alzheimer's Disease. In: G Spalletta, F Piras. T Gili (eds), Brain Morphometry, Springer; Series: Neuromethods. Chapter accepted
De Marco M, Venneri A. (2015) Ethical issues in the use of information and communication technologies in the health care of patients with neurological disorders. In: LP Ligthart, R Prasad, S Pupolin (eds), Neuro-rehabilitation with Brain Interface, Chapter 6, Aalborg (DK), River Publishers. ISBN:978-87-93237-44-5; 978-87-93237-43-8
I contribute as Reviewer to the editorial process of peer-reviewed manuscripts submitted to neuroscience journals.
I completed my BSc studies in Psychology at the University of Trieste (Italy) in September 2006, and obtained a MSc in Neuropsychology at the same university in March 2009. I then joined the Department of Psychology at the University of Hull for my post-graduate studies. I was awarded a Post-Graduate Certificate in Research Training in 2011 and completed a PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Sheffield in December 2012. In the two-year period between 2013 and 2014 I worked as post-doctoral researcher at the IRCCS Fondazione San Camillo research hospital in Venice (Italy). I moved back to Sheffield in December 2014 for a three-year post-doc within the Department of Neuroscience. In January 2018, finally, I was appointed to a lectureship.
- I regularly contribute to the University teaching programme for MSc students with lectures on research methodology and basic principles of neuroimaging and data analysis.
- I supervise post-graduate students as part of their MSc thesis projects, and, at the moment, I am co-supervisor of four PhD students.